Leadership Part 4 - Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life...
- Stupid question really… The more authentic you are then the happier you are going to be – that should be intuitive - it is just common sense
- In a recent leadership survey, more than 1,300 Australian professionals said that integrity and authenticity is the number one leadership trait that they look for in their leaders. More important than a track record of success, work ethic and creativity combined! Therefore, if you want to ‘get ahead’, listen to what your colleagues are looking for in their leaders. Source:
- In my view, if you’re authentic you will be more confident, in part because you don’t need people or society’s approval as much, which also makes you happier
- You will find it easier to deal with people who do not agree with you. Why? Because if you’re being authentic to yourself, then you realise that it doesn’t matter so much whether everyone agrees with you or not. What matters is that you are ‘running your own race’, and the more authentic it is, the less likely you will be worrying about what other people think. Everyone can run their own bloody race (as long we don’t bang into each other).
- What would your perfect day look like? What are you doing for work? For play? Where are you living? What are your hobbies?
- Write your retirement speech. Imagine you’re in a room full of your family and friends and you’re telling them about what you’ve been doing for the last 20+ years, the highs and lows, the difference you’ve made, etc.